Tuesday, April 7, 2015

March 30th- April 5th Training

Solid week of balance training with a lot of it coming on the weekend.   The kiddo was in the hospital half the week with a C-Diff infection and this made the week way more challenging to try and balance "life".  He is slowly recovering but lost about 11% of his 110 pound body weight, getting down to 97 pounds and looks like a starving child from Africa but at least he is eating again now and went back to school for the first time yesterday (Monday) in almost 3 weeks, progress that Ashley and I are very happy about.  Now we just need to keep working on rebuilding his gut flora health and get some muscle and weight back on him slowly.

Anyways, last week's "balance" training.  Most of the vertical was done on the weekend, with a 4K trail run on Saturday (double Mesa trail crossing) and 5K ride on Sunday, with him in the hospital vertical during the week was not possible.  Also started tracking mobility work in the log but not sure I will keep doing that or not.


This week I have marked as a "recovery" week but not really sure what that is going to mean and what I should do.  Getting into the groove of turning out 16-19 hour weeks has been fun and cutting that back to what?  That is what I am trying to figure out.   I have a fear that by cutting it back to far I will get lazy and will struggle getting back into this groove that I am currently in.  Yesterday was not a good start to a "recovery" week.  I had yesterday off work so I hit up a 8.5 mile 3K trail run in the Boulder hills followed directly by a Crossfit workout, that is not a recovery day.  I guess I will play it by ear all week.  In my mind I think going easy the rest of the work week (Tues-Fri) and then get back to a long run and ride over the weekend?  Or so I cut the volume on the weekend also?  First world problems.

Lot of truth in this.




Have a great week!




4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your kiddo is back home. My vote is to cut the volume all around. You have been kicking butt and working your body hard for a few weeks. Improvement includes rest and recovery. FWIW- It seems for me that my biggest gains are when I respect recovery week. The very next week, I can see noticeable improvement. That includes reducing mid week as well as weekend long work. Maybe drop 40-50% total. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier said than done. Gotta get the head straight. Thinking 40ish miles running and 50ish riding but we will see. Good to see your foot is getting better.

      Delete
  2. i hope you don't mind my continuing to chime on on your training... i think when you training for riding & running that you can still ride a fair amount during "recovery weeks". I'd go a bit easy on the crossfit front and more more like 30 miles running and 60+ riding. just my thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't mind at all, I have been pretty much following your suggestions and Andy Wooten's suggestions, sorta blending the two together. It has been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete