Monday, February 19, 2024

Feb 12th- Feb 18th

“If the highest aim of a captain were to preserve his ship, he would keep it in port forever.” - Thomas Aquinas

-- So as I said last week, I would share the results of the challenge at the gym the past month as I cleaned up my diet for it.  I gain a lot over the holidays (over 10 pounds) eating/drinking anything and everything in sight. I chose to follow the following macros of around 100g of fat, 200g of carbs and over 200g of protein per day and tracked everything I ate in MyFitnessPal.  This was an experiment for the most part because that is on the low end for carbs for an endurance athlete and super high on the protein end.  I based the protein off this research study to see what would happen.  https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medicine/fulltext/S2666-3791(23)00540-2#%20 .  The only rules for diet was limit seed oils which are in all processed foods and no alcohol. For workouts I followed my normal running program for this time of year of around 40-50 miles per week and did at least 20 CrossFit sessions this month which is what I try to do every month.  So nothing new for the most part besides diet.  I would say that my running was limited even due to achillies issues I have been dealing with the past 2 plus months.

With that said, below are the before and after numbers.  I would say I got great results in 4 weeks and honestly felt great overall.  There were days where I did my long runs that were challenging but that can be addressed by adding more carbs on those days during the run.  I was doing them with no calories and only electrolytes which was challenging after the 2 hour mark. 


-- Now can I maintain it or get leaner as I start ramping up the miles without losing to much muscle mass?  That is the question.  And how do I do that?  Keep the protein that high? Increase the carbs some?  Got some more experimenting to do.  Thanks to NoCoast CrossFit for putting this on, they do this every year which is great to set yourself up on a positive note for the upcoming year.  

Monday:   

10 AM:  1:10 at the gym
Warmup: Rowing and mobility

50-40-30-20-10: 28 mins 31 secs
50-40-30-20-10 reps of:
Assault Bike Calories
Row Calories
Burpee

--then--

15 mins of core work from Dan

2 PM:  3 miles averaging 9min pace.  Easy dog jog around the neighborhood. Tired after the workout this morning.

6 PM:  Bike 18.2 miles in just over an hour.  Spin class with Paula this evening, becoming our normal Monday night thing to help her get ready for Unbound.  Miles are according to the bike computer on the spin bike.  Tired after this today, lots of cardio today.

Tuesday:  
7:30 AM:  11.1 miles w/ 1800ft of vert averaging 8:40pace. Easy laps of NCAR starting from King Soopers. Run up to NCAR then down to the start of the houses then back up twice. Awesome run this morning. Could feel the ankle but was not effecting me today.

Noon:  1 hour at the gym.

Warmup: Rowing, mobility and drills

FT: 12 mins 27 secs
40 Deadlifts | 75 lbs
40 Hang Power Cleans, 40% 1RM | 75 lbs
4 Rope Climbs
30 Deadlifts | 75 lbs
30 Hang Power Cleans, 40% 1RM | 75 lbs
3 Rope Climbs
20 Deadlifts | 75 lbs
20 Hang Power Cleans, 40% 1RM | 75 lbs
2 Rope Climbs
10 Deadlifts | 75 lbs
10 Hang Power Cleans, 40% 1RM | 75 lbs
1 Rope Climb

Took 2 attempts on last rope climb, grip gave out halfway up and came crashing down 


--The photos that the race took in Missoula on Saturday were finally released today.  Good times!!!!





Wednesday:
6:45 AM:  1:15 at the gym

Warmup: Airbike, mobility and drills

Shoulder Press : 5-5-5-5-5 : 3125 lbs |
Sets
5 Shoulder Press | 115 lbs
5 Shoulder Press | 125 lbs
5 Shoulder Press | 130 lbs
5 Shoulder Press | 135 lbs
5 Shoulder Press | 120 lbs

--then--

AMRAP 8 mins: 5 rounds + 8 Push Press + 1 Box Jump | 89 reps
8:00 AMRAP:
8 Push Press | 120 lbs
8 Box Jumps, 32 in

--then--

Bench Press : 5 @ 75%, 3 @ 85%, 1 @ 95%
Sets
5 Bench Press, 75% 1RM | 135 lbs
3 Bench Press, 85% 1RM | 155 lbs
1 Bench Press, 95% 1RM | 175 lbs


3 PM:  6 miles w/ 500ft of vert averaging 8:15pace.  Easy out and back on my Costco loop. Super chill run and was surprised how tired my legs were from the box jumps this morning.  We did not do that many.   Had to cut it a little bit shorter than planned to meet Darian for he was helping me get my big ass couch out of my house.  It is almost clear for the renters.  Did come across this big guy at the turn around point of the run.  Had to have been 15ish or so pounds, he was huge.

Thursday:  
  -NOTE:  Weight check in:  None this week.

10 AM:  1:05 at the gym

Warmup: Airbike, mobility and drills

4x 3 mins RemReps: 78 reps | 23, 17, 18, and 20
4 rounds, 3 mins each, of:
15 Ski Ergs
25 AbMat Sit-ups
max rep Toes-to-bars | 23, 17, 18, and 20
Rest 1 min

--then--

bunch of planks afterwards.

2 PM: 9 miles w/ 1400ft of vert averaging 8:35pace.  Started at Kings and ran up to NCAR, back down to the start of the neighborhood then back up followed by another half hill coming half way down. Really loving this road lately for some reason, been doing 1-2 times a week this month. Think it is because I actually feel like I am running hills without slogging through the snow/mud or ice on the trails.

Friday:
7 AM:  8.9 miles w/ 2400ft of vert averaging 11:30pace.  Lap of Mount Santias and Anemone. Snowed about an inch last night so the trails were slicker than expected. I thought they would still be good due to so little snow but there was still some ice under the snow from the last storm, especially on the rock stairs on both trails so it slow going. Little bummed it was all socked in with fog so no sunrise photo but fun morning!




--- Took a day off from the gym, just needed it and was a workout that had muscle ups and squat snatches, these lifts do not put me closer to my goals this year while a little bit of rest does.  

This evening Paula and I got tickets for the opening night of Reel Rock 18 which always starts in Boulder then travels around the country.  Been a few years since I have been to one but they are so much fun watching people do incredible things in nature.

Here are the 4 main films of the show: https://reelrocktour.com/pages/rr18-films . 

If you have never been to one of these shows do it... you can also order it online and watch it at home but there is something about being in the theater with others that share your passion for the outdoors. 

We were really bummed but we turned around on the way to Boulder due to the icy road conditions and all the other idiot drivers out there during rush hour.  Was not worth it....  Guess I will be ordering it online after all.

Saturday: 
8:30 AM:  10.7 miles w/ 1100ft of vert averaging 8:35pace. Easy run with the boys in Bailey doing what we call Mini Mags. Have not done this route since before Hardrock last year so good to be back. Awesome ending at the Cutthroat Cafe for breakfast afterwards. Super chill with Don, Donnie, Jeff, and Darian in about 3-4 inches of fresh powder on the dirt road. Lots of talk of plans this coming year along with some trash talk of course.  I was honestly wrecked after this run in the afternoon.  I think it is due to the running on snow in the tire tracks on the road,  lot of uneven surfaces.  Been a bit since I have done that and could really feel it in all the stabilizer muscles and in the achillies after the run, especially after sitting right afterwards for the hour drive home.




Sunday:  
8 AM: 15.6 miles w/ 3000ft of vert averaging 9:40pace.  Easy cruise from Mount Sanitas trailhead up Sunshine Canyon and back down. Little quicker pace than last time but not much, slower coming down though. Little worked today in the legs and energy wise for whatever reason but got it done.


Total Weekly Numbers

Really slacking in my recovery/stretching this week so I will need to work on that so I don't end up hurt again.  Ankle/Achillies is still there but managing it for the most part.  Saturday's run set it off some with the uneven footing on snow.   Also let go of my diet for the most part the past 7-10 days falling off the wagon hard, need to get back on that as well.  Overall a good week, most mileage I have done in a week since the 100 miler in Nov.  Building time again.

















No comments:

Post a Comment