Wednesday, January 3, 2024

2023 in Review

 “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.” - Abraham Lincoln

Really love this quote.  Guess it is time to put together some sort of year in review just for my record to look back on in the years to come.  So here we go again.

Been a much better year overall than last.  At least there were no major injuries that made me take more than a week off.  Did miss my goals at Hardrock but came back in Nov for a win at FatOx.  Would have rather had hit my goals at Hardrock but I will take it. 

Training: More of a normal year this year overall.  Running mileage was down a bit but was made up with the skimo mileage and vert.  Replaced a lot of running time in the spring doing skimo to get ready for Grand Traverse with Bob.  For the 3rd or 4th year in a row really disappointed on my lack of time on my bikes, just that going for a run is so much more convenient.



How does that compare to the past years?  Well this is an interesting view of the last 16 years.  Back to a somewhat normal year volume wise after the down year last year due to major injuries.  Came in just under 850 hours total.  Hoping to get over 900 hours this year.


Here is the total ski days for this year.  Would have liked more but most I have had since college I think.  Will be a drop off this year for I have no skimo races on the calendar this year.
Races:
A somewhat more normal year for me as far as races are concerned.  Not quite the 30 plus events that I normally partake but close.  Did really struggle in the fall with burn out and did not start a couple of races in Sept...  

Here is an interesting view of my race mileage this year from my spreadsheet.  Lots of running races for sure compared to others.



2023 Races/Events

Books:  
24 books this year which was the goal.  To be totally honest I have barely cracked open a book in the last 2 months of the year so there is that.  Once I hit my goal I pretty much quit reading.  All over the place on my books with no real theme which is normal for me. I just read whatever catches my eye.  Kept the same goal this year with a goal of 24 or 2 per month.  Best book of the year???  Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker*  and of course any of the Jack Carr books.

Review of Goals for 2023:  

Another hit or miss year on my loose top 10 goals that I laid out last year....  

  1.  Improve my time at Hardrock over last year.  Failed but gave it a good shot!
  2. Read at least 24 books Completed
  3. Run Coaching Certification Been to lazy
  4. Travel somewhere new for a race Complete- couple of new places this year.
  5. Sky Dive Still waiting on Avery but the new baby will delay this a bit.
  6. Keep the blog more updated Complete, prob to many updates.
  7. No more than 1 drink a month Fuck no, not even close.
  8. Average a Peak a week in 2023 Complete- Over 85 summits this year.
  9. Backpacking on the Colorado Trail for 3-7 days Failed.. forgot about this goal
  10. Work on my lack of mobility at least 3-4 times a week. Most of the year

Goals for 2023: 

Of course there is some rollover from last year but they can be repeated year over year, especially the travel ones.  This of course does not include any work, family, or relationship goals... this is just strictly goals as they relate to this blog.

  1.  Improve my time at Hardrock over last year.  
  2. Read at least 24 books
  3. Run Coaching Certification
  4. Travel somewhere new for a race
  5. Sky Dive
  6. Keep the blog going weekly 
  7. Start more than 100 mile race this year
  8. Average a Peak a week in 2024
  9. Backpacking on the Colorado Trail for 3-7 days 
  10. Work on my lack of mobility at least 3-4 times a week.

2023  in Pictures  (Chose at least 1 photo per month which was super challenging!  A few of the months have 2 or more photos below.  Just to hard to decide. And yes, I tried to have that at least one other person is in the photo with me and choose different photos than my year end post on Instagram.  You can go through the weekly posts to see a lot of photos from the year)





















Have a Happy and Safe 2024!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment