Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Collegiate Peaks 50

I got the honor of being asked to run with Rebecca for her first 50 miler and of course I jumped that opportunity.   Not only would I get the chance to see a great friend finish her first 50 miler while training for Leadwoman but it would also give me the chance to see what I might be dealing with when it is time for my pacing duties at Leadville this year.  One thing I can tell you right off the bat is that if Leadville goes like this day did then my pacing duties are going to be a breeze.  She rocked it with a 4th overall woman placing, pretty damn solid in my book.  Proud of her and can't wait to see what the summer of Leadwoman holds for her.

As far as my race goes I decided that I was going to try and run the whole 50 miles without taking any extra sugar or anything that was not a whole food just to see what happens.  I was able to make it to the 40 mile aid station on nothing but bananas, oranges, one larabar (made from dates), some dates rolled in coconut flakes, and almond butter.  So no foods with added sugar.  But by mile 40 I was in such a brain fog and low energy that I decided that I was going to take in a bunch of Coke and just dump sugar in my system to get out of the funk I was in for I did not want Rebecca to feel like she had to wait on me as I got slower and slower going deeper and deeper into a bonk.  Of course it worked, within 30 minutes it was like the brain fog never happened and I could process information again.  Fun little experiment to see what I could and could not get away with.  I would have to say that if I can go 40 miles without any added sugar that I just might be a little fat adapted.  I would have liked to have tried some meat bars during this experiment but I am not a huge fan of Epic bars, they are just dry to me.  I just discovered Wilde Boldr bars a few days ago and will be trying these in a race soon.

Anyways enough of that goofy stuff and on to some photos of RBA rocking her first 50.




No comments:

Post a Comment