Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Boulder Mountain Marathon

Yes, I know, I just put up a post but I am trying to play catch up on race reports for May.  Couple more to go.

This is a new race in the Boulder area put on by Joe Grant and the best running store in the area, Flatirons Running.  Very awesome course with just the right amount of hills making this course completely runnable with the exception of the 1 mile climb up Penn Gulch.  I put this race up there with the Salida Marathon in case you are wondering, yes it is that cool of a race.  You can see the course on my Strava here, and you guess from the profile where Penn Gulch is?

I started out slow and just warmed up into it until I hit what I would call a moderately hard pace or effort.  By the end I was able to work my way up to 5th overall and 1st old man.  That yielded me a new Salomon jacket, SWEET!  Got my entry fee back basically.   I think that if I would not have let them go at the start of the race and actually warmed up before starting I might have been able to pull off a 3rd overall.  They were only 3 and 4 minutes in front of me and I was closing fast on them at the end.  Oh well, the point was a supported long run for Bighorn next month not racing super hard.

Great to also catch up with James and Maggie Walsh.  Of course Maggie rocked it and took the overall woman win.  Just another great day in the mountains of Colorado which I am so grateful to be close to.

Photos taken by Peter Jones or myself but mostly Peter.



I had some Strava records for about an hour until he uploaded, to be expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment