Sunday, December 10, 2017

Festivus Games


Since getting poked at in a group email a few days ago with the statement, "Thought Shad only does Crossfit now"  it reminded me that I needed to get this post and photos up before I forgot about.  Gotta love my friends for reminding me.

Anyways once a year I try to do something that is way out of my comfort zone just to test myself a little and this year it was the Festivus Games.  Festivus Games is a Crossfit knock off where they hold the competition at gyms all across the country at the same time and you get ranked nationally at the end.  It also requires that you have a partner.  There were 2 gyms in Colorado that were offering the competition, one in Broomfield and one in Castle Rock.  Broomfield was sold out so down to Castle Rock it was.  Since it was in Castle Rock I was unsuccessful in getting anyone from my gym to be my partner but was able to recruit running buddy Terry Miller to join me and we had a blast.

There are 4 required WODs (Workout of the Day) that you have to complete over the course of the day.  Needless to say it was a little bit of a sufferfest but I did hit a personal best in the deadlift.  The workouts are listed below.  Terry and I ended up in the middle of the pack ranking wise at the end of the day both locally and nationally which is not bad for a couple of runners who lift on the side.

Thanks for joining me Terry, it was a good time.

WOD 1
9-Minute AMRAP

3 Minutes
- Box Jumps 24"
- Partner Holds Front Rack 95lbs

3 Minutes
- Pull-ups
- Partner Holds Tricep-extension On Box

3 Minutes
- Shoulder-to-overhead (same weight as above)
- Partner Holds Bar Hang

WOD2
5-Reps At 8-Stations EMOM Deadlift Ladder
Male Intermediate
145, 165, 205, 245, 285, 325, 345, 365

8 bars will be pre-loaded and ready to go. On 3-2-1-Go! you and your partner will approach the first bar and, within 1 minute, one at a time, you will BOTH deadlift it for 5 consecutive reps each.

WOD3
With a 10-Minute Running Clock

PART 1

- 60 Row-Over Burpees
- While Your Partner Does Single Unders (SU)
Partners must switch if the rope jumper stops or misses.

PART 2
- Calorie Row
- While Your Partner Does Wall Balls
Partners must switch if the ball hits the ground.

WOD4
With a 4-Minute Time Cap
2 Rounds for Time

- 20 Dumbbell Reverse Lunges (10/leg, 35lbs each hand)
- Partner Wheelbarrow Walk 7 yards
- 20 Dumbbell Cleans (35lbs each hand)
- Partner Wheelbarrow Walk 7 yards
Athletes decide who does what. It doesn't matter as long as the work gets done.


All of the photos below were taken by Clyde when he stopped by to watch Terry and I do WOD3 from above.







No comments:

Post a Comment