Sunday, December 31, 2017

Quick 2017 Review & Photo Recap

As I am sitting here on my couch with the flu for the past few days wishing I was out playing in the hills I thought I would get this put together and out there.  This year started out strong with trips to HI, CA, Boston, AZ, and Bolivia.  After Bolivia it was pretty much downhill from there, I just got burned out.  For someone who historically has not traveled that much, this year was huge on that front.  If you don't remember in last year's review I shared that Ashley and I got divorced.  Well in the 10 years we were together she did all the traveling with her friends and family while I stayed home to take care of the house, kid and pets.  I think this year as an over compensation to make up for it a bit.  Either way it was much needed and I am thankful for all the friends and memories from these trips.  Anyways let's start the break down of the year with training and racing.

Training: Not my biggest year by far in the running mileage but the overall time is still up.  Trying to fit in different activities takes away from the jogging which everyone know is what truly makes me happy.  The bike was a non-factor this year and I did add in some skiing and increased the time in the weight room dramatically.    Here is how 2017 breaks down.




How does that compare to the past years?  Well this is an interesting view.  Now you can see what I mean by total hours still being up.  Three big years in a row, can the trend continue? Being a single guy with nothing better to do, I see the trend continuing.  This is comparing the last 10 years in total hours.



Races:
Solid year in the racing department for the most part but the ongoing joke in the GOMs is this was "Shad's Year of Mediocrity" with doing so many different things and not really focusing on one race like last year.  You can go back and read all the race reports on the year, I am not going to get into them all here.   Anyways here is the list of all the organized races and/or events from the year.  Lots of great times and memories this year, I look back at this list and it just brings a smile from ear to ear.  Of course the smile got even bigger when I started digging through all the photos on my phone (at the end of the post).  Damn, what a fun year it was and I am honored to have so many great friends.

2017 Races/Events


Books:  
Got in weak 23 books this year.  Of course a bunch of them were zombie apocalypse themed books again.  Not sure where my book list will go this year.  Just been a struggle to get my butt to read at night, I am so tired I fall asleep super quickly anymore.  

2017 Books Read
1. Hell or High Water: Surviving the Tibet's Tsangpo River 
2. Discover Your True North*
3. Extreme Ownership*
4. Road to Sparta*
5. Mastering The Zone
6. What Doesn't Kill Us*
7. Ego is the Enemy*
8. Maximus Body*
9. Exposed Tragedy & Triumph in Mountain Climbing*
10. Mountain Madness*
11. Alone on the Wall*
12. No Barriers: A Blind Man's Journey to Kayak the Grand Canyon*
13. Bolivia: A Climbing Guide
14. Way of the Warrior Kid*
15. Abyss- Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse*
16. War Buds: Under Attack*
17. War Buds 2: On Alert*
18. War Buds 3: Overcome*
19. The Operator: Firing the Shot that Killed Osama*
20. Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual*
21. Unbreakable Runner* (Re-Read)
22. Arisen Book 13- The Siege*
23. Arisen Book 14- EndGame*

Review of Goals for 2017: This year was a hit or miss year on goals.
1. Finish or be super close to finishing the 14ers (6 left)- Completed
2. Leadville 100 MTB if I make it through the lottery- Did not make it through the lottery
3. Go outside the lower 48 states- HI and Bolivia
4. Read at least 30 books- Nope, see above
5. Over 2,000 miles running and 3,000 miles biking- Biking fell off big time this year
6. Travel somewhere new for a race that I have never been- Hurt 100, Miwok, AZ
7. Sky Dive- nope, cancelled due to weather, rolled into 2018
8.  Use my passport to leave the country- Bolivia
9. Attend at least one concert- Guns N Roses at Mile High
10. Be an active member on the MTB team I am on this year doing at least 4 MTB races- Started the year strong but fell off as the running took it's toll.  No MTB races this year, only a couple of cyclocross.
 
Now on to some loose top 10 goals for 2018
1. Re-qualify for the Hardrock lottery
2. Re-qualify for Western States lottery
3. Travel somewhere new for a race
4. Attend at least one concert
5. Read at least 30 books
6. Sky Dive
7. Leave the lower 48 states
8. Keep the Blog more updated
9. Throw my hat into donkey racing
10. Backpacking on the Colorado trail



HAPPY NEW YEARS AND MAY 2018 BE YOUR BEST YET!
Year in Photos
Boulder Ice plunge group

Kalalau Trail Campsite

Kalalau Trail
Hurt 100

Moab with Andy

Lake Powell in AZ
Star Pass during the Grand Traverse

Grand Traverse with Rebecca, 40 mile ski race
Boston Marathon
Miwok 100K trail run in CA

Some small Redwood tree in CA


Miwok 100K course views

Trail running in Fruita CO
Mountain Biking in Fruita CO
Murph workout at NoCoast

Gray/Torrys via Dead Rat with Bob

Huayna Potosi climb in Bolivia

Huayna Potosi in Bolivia
Sis and the kids at Don's funeral
Donkey love up at the compound
Pacing/Crewing Donnie at Hardrock

Donnie finishing Hardrock

Guns N Roses

Pacing/Crewing Clyde at Leadville
Train ride to Chicago Basin

Chicago Basin at sunrise

Mount Wilson
Bob joining me as I finished the 14ers on San Luis

Cyclocross love



Crossfit Comp with Terry Miller

Sucking at the gym

Stop #1 during Solstice Run
Council of Elders for the Solstice Run


Here is to another year of adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment