Monday, November 6, 2017

San Luis- 14er Finisher!

And that is a wrap!  After 10 years of slowly picking away at the list of 58 14ers in Colorado between racing and training I finally wrapped them up on San Luis.  It was sort of bitter sweet which was expected.  Once again it was about a 5 hour drive each way to get there but this time I did not have to go alone.  The Bob threw his hat in the ring and joined me for the trip down there to knock it out.  Based on the suggestion from Eric Lee we did the mountain from the Creed side instead of from the standard trailhead and I will tell you I found it quite enjoyable.  Starting at an abandoned mine, you go over a couple of ridges on the Colorado Trail before turning off to head up San Luis.   This added more vertical and about the same distance as the standard route but without really seeing anyone.  We came across a couple of Colorado Trail through hikers and one person on the summit that came up the standard trail but that was it.  Pretty remote mountain out in the middle of nowhere in the San Juans and super easy.  I would like to go back and do the standard route as well just to get a feel for both sides of the mountain, maybe I will be able to pull off a ski summit this winter.  ;o)

Thanks to all the people out there that have joined me for a peak or ten over the years.  You know who you are and I am grateful to have had your company and friendship over the years.  Looking forward to some repeat summits via some new routes up the hills.













No comments:

Post a Comment