Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Getting right in the head for Leadville.


 Since Leadville is getting closer and closer by the minute I have been thinking more and more about the fun and suffering that is going to take place for me this weekend.  It has been 2 years since I have ran further than 40 miles so it feels like it is my 1st 100 miler all over again, which scares me a bit.  Anyway needless to say I know that I have better training than in years past but I am still struggling mentally with the upcoming jog right now.  Hopefully that works itself out over the next few days.

I got this sent to me by a friend of mine Chris Gerber last year and thought it would be fitting to share for the upcoming adventure.  I have been saving it for a while now.  Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems rather fitting for ultrarunning...when you're out there playing the games you can't win, the games against you.



"Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!

There are points to be scored.  there are games to be won.

And the magical things you can do with that ball

will make you the winning-est winner of all.

Fame!  You'll be famous as famous can be,

with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.


Except when they don't.

Because, sometimes, they won't.


I'm afraid that some times

you'll play lonely games too.

Games you can't win

'cause you'll play against you.


All Alone!

Whether you like it or not,

Alone will be something

you'll be quite a lot.


And when you're alone, there's a very good chance

you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.

There are some, down the road between hither and yon,

that can scare you so much you won't want to go on.


But on you will go

though the weather be foul

On you will go

though your enemies prowl

On you will go

though the Hakken-Kraks howl

Onward up many

a frightening creek,

though your arms may get sore

and your sneakers may leak.


On and on you will hike

and I know you'll hike far

and face up to your problems

whatever they are."



Excerpt from:

  - Dr Seuss, "Oh, The Places You'll Go!"

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I know. For some reason I am a f*cking basket case today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a basket case!? Man, you must be the ONLY person racing this weekend that is :)
    It's no use struggling against something that is yet to happen. Save the fight for the day. Easy to say, I know.
    You're going to do great Shad! I really hope Ken Chlouber's pre-race speech is similar to the one he gave at the 100 bike this past Saturday. I got a lump in my throat hearing him talk about giving up on race day. I was truly inspired and still am with his words.

    ReplyDelete