Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mount Sherdian 2-8-09 and upcoming Red Hot

This past Sunday a group of 6 of us went to climb Mount Sheridan at 13,748ft above sea level. It was Kirk, Tracy, Chris Deck, Matt (Chris's cousin), Art (Kirk's co-worker) and myself. The road to the summer trailhead at Four Mile Creek on the Fairplay side of the mountain was closed due to snow about 3.25 miles from the trailhead. With this added mileage the hike came out to be about 13 miles round trip and 4500ft of gain. It took us 6 hours total which is not a bad clip considering the 30mph winds and snow that was thrown at us. Out of the 6 of us, Tracy, Chris, and myself hit the summit and the others turned around about 400 vertical feet from the top due to the cold and shivering wildly. I never took my snowshoes off my pack the whole day, the snow was hard enough that I could just walk on top of it and only sink a few inches. Here are a couple of pictures that were taken by Tracy. They show Chris and myself on the summit and a group picture at the end of the day.




This upcoming Saturday 2/14 I have my 1st race of the year, Red Hot 50K. I am more nervous about this race than I have been in past races and I can not figure out why. Is it because I have been working with a coach the past 3 or so months and now I feel higher expectations? Or is it because it is just the first of the year on my way to another 100 mile attempt? I think a huge part of it is the first question I raised, higher expectations. After feeling like I let down lots of people with dropping from Leadville at mile 78 last summer the last thing I want to do is have another let down due to a slower than expected time, hell I don't even know what time I should be shooting for or what pace I should try and run. I know that I am stronger than last year the question is how much stronger am I? I just don't want to let down myself, Ashley, or anyone else for that matter.

Well that is enough rambling and whining for today. I have to get back to work. I will post a race report next week and let you know how it went.

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck Shad (even though I know you don't need it ... You will do fine)! Keep it posted on here - I'm anxious to hear about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relax and have a good time. It's early in the year and you have bigger goals, so keep this race in perspective. Should be good running conditions.
    See you there.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think you coulda made it up Sherman without snowshoes?

    ReplyDelete