Monday, August 21, 2023

August 14th- August 20th

“It is not enough to be busy...The question is: what are we busy about?” - Henry David Thoreau

So I started 75 Hard again last Monday, did not share that last week because I was not sure if I was going to keep doing it or not.  Figured why not, it gives me little daily micro goals that over time lead to some habit changes that I need to get back too.  So far so good.....  would not be surprised if I have to start over a few times which is fine.  Still only doing 75 days total.


Monday:   

6:45 AM:  1 hour at the gym followed by 10mins of mobility before running.  I have not deadlifted heavy since before the back injury last fall.  Starting to trust the back more and more.


Warmup: Rowing, mobility and drills


Deadlift : 5-5-5-5-5 : 6900 lbs 

Sets

5 Deadlifts | 245 lbs

5 Deadlifts | 265 lbs

5 Deadlifts | 275 lbs

5 Deadlifts | 295 lbs

5 Deadlifts | 300 lbs


-then-


5x 2 mins RemReps: 114 reps | 114

5 rounds, 2 mins each, of:

100 Speed Step Jump Ropes

max rep Row Calories 



8 AM:  5 miles averaging 8min pace.  Easy out and back from the gym towards Erie.  All new trails since the gym moved over the weekend.  Now it is by Acreage.  This adds a lot of drive time round trip and not sure if I will be staying here after 10 years going to this gym.  Instead of 12mins to get to and from the gym it is now 20-25 depending on traffic.  Not because it is father away but because now I have to use Hwy 287 with all the traffic and lights.  Not my jam... I am going to give it a month and make a decision then.



3 PM: Bike 10.5 miles w/ 550ft of vert.  Easy cruise on Blueberry (MTB) on the Westmister Trails across from the house.  Bike feels a lot better so far since the fitting.  Think it was money well spent!


Tuesday:  
6:45 AM:  1 hour at the gym
Warmup: Airbike, mobility, and drills

4 RFT:  15 mins 49 secs 
4 rounds of:
12 Dumbbell Snatches, 25% 1RM | 35 lbs
12 Toes-to-bars
12 AbMat Sit-ups
12 Dumbbell Snatches, 25% 1RM | 35 lbs
12 Toes-to-bars
12 AbMat Sit-ups
Rest 1 min

8 AM: 5 miles averaging 8min pace.  Easy cruise from the gym going west on the Rock Creek trail.  Made past Medtronic before turning around.  Kind of like having the trail right across from the gym in the new location.  Followed this up with an easy 1 mile cooldown walk.

--  Was not going to bring this up until it was done but changed my mind.  Spent the late afternoon at Junkyard Ink starting the final phase of my arm tattoo.  Bunch of wildflowers from the photos that I have taken over the last 2 summers around Colorado.  Yes that is the main reason I have been taking so many wildflower photos but of course because I also love them.  These are the first 2 flowers, should be able to get 4-5 more going around the arm.






Wednesday:
6:45 AM:  1 hour at the gym

Warmup: Jogging, mobility and drills

AMRAP 20 mins: 7 rounds + 400 ft + 100 ft + 2 Wall Walks
20:00 AMRAP:
Shuttle Run, 400 ft
Walking Lunge, 100 ft
4 Wall Walks

8 AM:  5 miles averaging 8mins pace. Easy cruise from the gym on the Rock Creek trail heading towards Erie right after the workout.  Lot hotter today than it has been lately.   1 mile cooldown walk afterwards.


1 PM:  Bike 10.75 miles w/ 700ft of vert in 51mins.  Easy spin from the house over to the Westminster Hills trails doing a bunch of different loops.  Super hot out today so made sure I was on trails where I can see snakes.  There is a lot of rattlers over there and they come out when it is hot.





Thursday:  
  -NOTE:  Weight check in:  Exactly the same numbers as last week and the week before.  Super weird for I have actually cleaned up my diet the last 11 days and been doing more activity again since I started 75 Hard again.  Not changing a damn thing weight or bodyfat wise.  Will keep plugging away.

6:45 AM:  1 hour in the gym

Warmup: Airbike, mobility and drills

8x RFT: Every 3 mins (starting at 0:00) complete:s, 8 mins 21 secs
8 rounds, each round for time, of:
Every 3 mins (starting at 0:00) complete:
10 Burpee Over Bars
4 Squat Cleans, 60% 1RM | 105 lbs
10 Box Jump Overs, 24 in
Resting 0 secs between each round.

8 AM:  5 miles averaging 8 min pace.  Easy cruise on the Rock Creek Trail again right after the gym.

-  Massage scheduled from 11:30-1 today then heading straight from there to Leadville to hang out and pace at the Leadville 100.  Excited.  Have not gone back up in the high country since Hardrock.

Sleeping at the trailhead of Missouri Mountain outside of Leadville tonight to hit the trail in the morning.



Friday:
7:30 AM:  10.7 miles w/ 4600ft of vert in 4:15.  Missouri Mountain outside of Leadville with Bob. First time on a real mountain trail since Hardrock. Felt great but fuck was I sore the next 2 days in my quads and really felt it when pacing Leadville.  









Saturday: 
7 AM:  5 miles w/ 400ft of vert averaging 9:20pace.  Easy shakeout jog from Twin Lakes after sleeping in the back of the truck there last night.   Joined Don for the first half where he kept going and I came back. I have to pace tonight so kept it short.  Really love car camping at Twin Lakes the night before the 100.  We were parked about 100 yards down the road from the General Store and where the runners cross over the hwy to start Hope Pass, so nice.




8 PM: 14.5 miles w/ 1800ft of vert in 4:18.  Pacing Mindy from Twin Lakes to Outward bound. You forget how long this section really is. For some reason in my mind I remember it being shorter.  Mindy might be the most efficient person I have ever paced at the aid stations.  We were never in an aid station for more than 3-4 mins.  Yes I timed them all... super impressed, especially since this is her first 100 run.

- So I saw a post on the Leadville Run Facebook Group from Mindy on Thursday who is from Michigan looking for help to find a pacer for her first 100 mile run.  I looked up her Facebook profile to see what mutual friends we have, there was one, Paula. So I asked Paula how she knew Mindy only to find out that she is a bad ass pro multi day adventure racer from the back in the day.  That just means that she knows how to suffer and there will be no hand holding, I am in.  Figured it was the right thing to do, play it forward and get some trail karma.





Sunday:  
3 AM: 12.5 miles w/ 900ft of vert in 3:32.  Pacing Mindy from Mayqueen to the Finish... She rocked her first 100!!!  I got a little break between Outward Bound and Mayqueen where I was able to get about an hour and half of sleep before bring her in to the finish.  She did not have much left in the legs in this section but once we got around the lake she was able to do some jogging on road and the Boulevard.  The goal when we left Mayqueen was to be under 28 hours.  She did it, 27:48.  CONGRATULATIONS MINDY!  

That was a damn fun weekend!  Thanks for including me in your adventures!










Total Weekly Numbers

Hell of a week this week!!!  Between doing Missouri and pacing up at Leadville just might have been the kick in the ass I needed to get back to it.  Super sore in the quads still on Monday morning but much better than yesterday where they were sore to the touch.  


 










No comments:

Post a Comment