Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Phil Maffetone Interview

I have really been trying to follow Phil Maffetone training principles lately and have been trying to absorb anything that I can find about it. It all came about reading Lucho's blog where he talks about it quite often.

This lead to reading this book which I really seemed to agree with what Phil has to say, it just makes sense in my mind. Since reading this book I started wearing a heart rate monitor and minding how my body feels when running. I started doing this about the beginning of July. Since then I have dropped my 145bpm heart rate pace on flat ground from 8 mins per mile to about 7:20 mins per mile. I am very interested to see where this goes.



Ben Greenfield just did a great interview of Phil. You can listen to it by clicking here.

Let me know your thoughts about this training philosophy. Here are a couple more links with more information.

Mark Allen on Heart Rate Training

Want speed? Slow down!

2 comments:

  1. Trailrat,

    This is the real deal with the entire approach to running. I have been leading military and community runners to this method for 10 years with amazing results. You develop aerobic speed with this method.
    Was just at a Lydiard Foundation conference. 3 time Olympic Gold Medalist Peter Snell gave a talk called "Get faster by running slow". He won gold in 1960 and 1964 and is now an exercise physiologist.

    Keep up the progress.

    Mark Cucuzzella MD
    http://naturalrunningcenter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete