Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hardrock with a side of Sneffelupaguses

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
- Steve Prefontaine


Hardrock 100

I could not think of a better quote to sum up what I saw this past weekend at the Hardrock 100 mile trail run. There was nothing but guts and glory on display at the finish line as I watched people come across the finish line to kiss the rock.

I am going to give a short recap of Hardrock and leave the race report to JT. I will link to his report when it is completed.

JT had me pace him for about 15 miles of the course on Friday night. We left the GG aid station outside of Silverton at about 7pm arriving in Ouray at about 11:30pm. He was able to move pretty quickly through this section which was about 15 miles/3000ft of gain and 5500ft of loss. After dropping off JT with Paul Smith, I had to drive Paul's truck back up to Silverton via the Million Dollar Highway, this is scary when it is late and you are tired from running for over 4 hours. Click on the link to check it out. It is basically a cliff highway with a huge drop off just on the otherside of the white line, no room for error!

Here are some of the pictures that I took:



Here are some of the pictures that JT, Katie (crew) and his other pacer (Paul) took:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jteisher/Hardrock

After getting about 4 hours of sleep in the back of my 4Runner I headed back down to Ouray to knock out a 14er called Mount Sneffels on Saturday morning.

Mount Sneffels

I arrived at the lower trailhead at about 9am to hit the trail by 9:30am. I choose to start at the lower trailhead instead of 4X4ing up to the upper trailhead so that I could get a few extra miles and vertical feet in. This climb/hike ended up being about 6 miles and 3000ft of gain. It took me 3 hours and 15 mins car to car.

Here is the link to the route description on 14ers.com: Mount Sneffels

This climb is really straight forward and easy to follow so I am not going to write up a long trip report. Basically it is a very beautiful part of the state. It is a toss up between Aspen area and the San Juans for the prettiest places that I have seen so far in my quest of the 14ers.

Here are my pictures from the climb:



After the climb I headed back to Silverton to hang out at the finish line and watch people come across. I just love the aura that surrounds a 100 miler.

Hope everyone has a great week! I am planning on doing Mount Lindsey this coming Saturday so I will post pictures/report next week on that.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the help!

    Didn't know Sneffels was that short...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Sneffels was kind of a joke. Being so close to Ouray there was a bunch of tourist on it and even a wedding going on in the lower trailhead. I did not really feel like I was climbing a 14er that is for sure, more like I was at Mount Falcon or something.

    ReplyDelete